Perfect Morning - (Revisited!)

For jokes, random off-topic conversations etc
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Perfect Morning - (Revisited!)

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed May 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks Nelly.

Here's another walk I did a few weeks ago: -

Monday 14th May was forecast to be more-or-less sunny all day, so I decided on a another trip to the lake District for a walk up Scafell Pike and Scafell from Wasdale Head.

Setting off from the National Trust car-park at Wasdale Campsite, I walked beside Lingmell Gill up the Brown Tongue route to Hollow Stones, and then onwards to Lingmell Col, before turning south easterly for the final few hundred feet of ascent to Scafell Pike summit.

From there, I descended to Mickledore, and then took the steep and not so well known faint track that skirts the foot of Scafell’s main crags, directly down to the bottom of Lord’s Rake.

Lord’s Rake was loose, slippy, and hard going. – Very much the same awkward scree slope that it was thirty or more years ago when I last climbed it! – But nevertheless, incredibly enjoyable for the views to be had, both looking directly up and back down it, and looking out over the valleys from the tops of each of its sections. – You just don’t get a sense of the scale of things in that area from photos.

Incredibly, (or not – as it happens all too frequently in the Lake District), although there had been more or less wall-to-wall sunshine so far, some extensive banks of mist began to arrive as I made my way up the final section of Lord’s Rake. – Taking the edge off any possibility of getting good scenic photos for the next couple of hours or so.

At the top of Lord’s Rake, it was a simple plod up the last few hundred feet to Scafell’s summit plateau, passing by Symonds Knott and then across to the head of the West Wall Traverse for a look down into Deep Gill – where a group of climbers were enjoying themselves on its almost vertical walls.

A short back-track past Symonds Knott, and up the final few feet to Scafell summit, where I stopped for lunch, and had a lengthy wait around, hoping that the patchy mist would clear!

It began to finally clear after about an hour and a half, so, from Scafell summit, I decided to head down Kettle Cove, towards the Burnmoor Tarn area. Which, depending on time, and my energy levels, would then give me the option of going up over Illgill Head and Whin Rigg, or taking the old corpse road back to Wasdale. Unfortunately, an untimely slip on a loose boulder not long after leaving the Scafell’s summit left me with a slight but niggling knee injury for the rest of the walk that ended any thoughts of my doing Illgill Head etc. – So back down the old corpse road it was!

Regards,
Mike.

GPX Track of the route walked: -
#01GPX Track - 1 to 50000 scale.jpg
Walk Elevation Profile: -
#04 Walk Elevation Profile.jpg
And some photos from the day. (Described in list form below, to ensure correct alignment of thumbnail images).

Photo 01 – Wastwater from the Brown Tongue area of the path from Wasdale, heading towards Scafell Pike: -
Photo 02 – The crags of Scafell, as seen from Hollow Stones area on the approach to Lingmell Col: -
Photo 03 – Great Gable and Styhead Tarn, with Skiddaw and Blencathra on the horizon. (From flanks of Scafell Pike): -
Photo 04 – Great Gable etc., from beside Scafell Pike’s summit triangulation pillar: -
Photo 05 – Scafell’s crags, with Lord’s Rake just right of centre: -
Photo 06 – A “zoomed-in” shot of Lord’s Rake, from the approach to Mickledore: -
Photo 07 – Looking back down the first section of Lord’s rake, with Scafell Pike facing: -
Photo 08 – Looking back towards the first section of Lord’s Rake, & Scafell Pike beyond: -
Photo 09 – A minute later, and the view back to Scafell Pike and Lord’s Rake first section becomes enveloped in mist: -
Photo 10 – Yewbarrow as seen from beside Fence Wood, on the Old Corpse Road: -
Photo 11 – Looking up to Scafell Pike from the old corpse road, on the approach to Brackenclose: -
Photo 12 – The Scafells, from Lingmell Gill bridge. (Just behind the National Trust carpark at Wasdale): -

If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=580
Attachments
01 Wastwater from Brown Tongue area.jpg
Photo 01.
02 Scafell from Hollow Stones.jpg
Photo 02.
05 Great Gable from flanks of Scafell Pike.jpg
Photo 03.
06 Scafell Pike trig pillar.jpg
Photo 04.
10 Lord's Rake from Mickledore.jpg
Photo 05.
11 Lord's Rake - (zoomed in)  from Mickledore.jpg
Photo 06.
18 Looking down Lord's Rake.jpg
Photo 07.
21 Looking back to Scafell Pike.jpg
Photo 08.
23 The mist arrives.jpg
Photo 09.
39 Yewbarrow from beside Fence Wood.jpg
Photo 10.
40 Scafell Pike from near Brackenclose.jpg
Photo 11.
41 Scafells from Lingmell Gill.jpg
Photo 12.
Common sense is not so common.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Thursday, 24th May was forecast to be a fine sunny day, so I made another trip to the Lake District with the idea of walking the Fairfield Horseshoe. - I'd previously been up most of the fells involved, but had never made a point of doing the actual Horseshoe.

Making an early start, I parked the car in the Lake Road carpark at Ambleside, at about 7:30am, and was pleased to discover that (at that particular carpark) a trial "Earlybird Offer" was in place, meaning that anyone arriving before 9am could park all day for just £1.00 - bargain!!!! (NB: that offer runs until end of June, so just a few weeks to go for anyone who might want to take advantage of it).

From the carpark, I made my way through Ambleside's almost deserted early morning streets, to Nook End Farm and Low Sweden Bridge, where the fell-walk proper would begin.
A few paces beyond Low Sweden Bridge brings you out onto the open fellside, where the ridge-line path follows a drystone wall all the way up the fells to Dove Crag.

I added a little extra to the walk by doing a there & back detour across to the cairn on High Bakestones. This is off the line of the main horseshoe path, but for the little extra effort involved, offers some fine views over to the eastern fells.

Navigation on some of these tops visited can be problematical in bad weather. E.g., once on Fairfield’s summit plateau, there are several cairned paths on the expansive flat top, so map & compass skills can be needed to ensure that you are heading in your correct chosen direction. However, on a fine day you’d really have to be trying to get lost. (Although, some people still do :shock: :roll: ).

Quite a long walk at over thirteen miles, so not to be underestimated, but with plenty of stunning views along the way.

Regards,
Mike.

#02 GPX Track - 1 to 50000 Scale.jpg
#04 Walk Elevation Profile.jpg
And some photos from the day. (Described in list form below, to ensure correct alignment of thumbnail images).

Photo 01 – Looking back to Ambleside, from High Sweden Coppice area: -
Photo 02 – Looking up to Sweden Crag (left), and Brock Crags (right of centre): -
Photo 03 – The drystone wall that follows the ridgeline. – With Low Pike and High Pike prominent on the horizon: -
Photo 04 – Looking towards Place Fell and Angletarn Pikes from High Bakestones: -
Photo 05 – Looking north-east, to Place Fell and Angletarn Pikes. – From Dove Crag summit plateau: -
Photo 06 – Hutaple Crag and Deepdale, from the flanks of Fairfield: -
Photo 07 – Cofa Pike and St, Sunday Crag – from the flanks of Fairfield: -
Photo 08 – Great Gable and Fleetwith Pike, (from Fairfield), seen across Seat Sandal, Steel Fell, Glaramara, etc.: -
Photo 09 – Looking back to Rydal Head from the ridgeline path towards Heron Pike: -
Photo 10 – A zoomed-in close up of Bowfell and the Scafell’s, with the Langdale Pikes in front. (From ridgeline approach to Heron Pike): -
Photo 11 – Looking down to Grasmere: -
Photo 12 – Looking down to the final part of the walk. – The view back to Ambleside and Windermere, (with part of Rydal Water at right hand side), as seen from Nab Scar: -

If you would like to see a more extensive description, and lots more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=585
Attachments
03 Ambleside.jpg
Photo 01.
04 Looking towards Sweden Crag & Brock Crags.jpg
Photo 02.
10 Low & High Pike.jpg
Photo 03.
18 High Bakestones.jpg
Photo 04.
23 Place Fell.jpg
Photo 05.
31 Hutaple Crag.jpg
Photo 06.
32 Cofa Pike-St Sunday Crag.jpg
Photo 07.
33 Gables-Great End etc.jpg
Photo 08.
44 Rydal Head.jpg
Photo 09.
46 Bowfell-Scafells-Langdales.jpg
Photo 10.
49 Looking down on Grasmere.jpg
Photo 11.
53 Ambleside & Windermere.jpg
Photo 12.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Tuesday, 5th June was forecast to be a nice day, so, another trip to the Lake District - to do the Kentmere Horseshoe.
During the walk, I decided to include High Street and Goat Scar as two “extra” summits. These two aren’t considered part of the usual horseshoe, but the legs were feeling good on the day, and both tops offer some very good views.
The walk was over 14 miles long, with total ascents of over 4000ft. – It took 7¾hr, start to finish, with actual moving time of 6hr 10min.

I started from the obvious location – the small parking area between the village hall and the telephone kiosk, (opposite St, Cuthbert's Church), and was quite happy to pay the suggested donation of £3.00 for all day parking. – After all, the parking area is on private land which has to be maintained. (There is an honesty box embedded into the side of the village hall wall).

From the village hall, I walked towards the Nook, and then between the buildings there, making sure to keep on the correct route in order to pick up the path going up the Garburn Pass. At the head of the pass there is an obvious point to turn northwards towards Yoke, the first main fell of the day, and the beginning of the ridge route around the horseshoe itself.

Unfortunately, Kentmere Reservoir, prominent at several places around the horseshoe, is currently completely drained, and is a bit of a blot on the otherwise stunning landscape.
I understand that it is in private ownership and something of a financial burden due to legislation requiring the maintenance of various safety standards. – It could well be that it never gets refilled!

Regards,
Mike.

#GPX Track - 1 to 50000 Scale.jpg
#Walk Elevation Profile1.jpg

Photo 01 – Looking towards “The Nook”, with Goat House Scar, Cowsty Knotts, etc., on horizon. (From beside the village hall in Kentmere).
Photo 02 – Looking up the Garburn Pass, with Buck Crag prominent at right hand side.
Photo 03 – A completely drained Kentmere Reservoir, with Mardale Ill Bell, Nan Bield Pass, and Harter Fell, all to be visited later in this walk, on the horizon.
Photo 04 – A view towards Froswick from Ill Bell. – Mist gradually clearing over Thornthwaite Beacon and High Street in the far distance.
Photo 05 – Looking back towards Ill Bell from Froswick.
Photo 06 – Approaching Thornthwaite Beacon.
Photo 07 – Looking back to High Street, with Kidsty Pike in distance. – (From the flanks of Mardale Ill Bell).
Photo 08 – Small Water and Haweswater Reservoir, from the flanks of Harter Fell.
Photo 09 – Fell ponies on the ridge between Harter Fell and Kentmere Pike. - With a now distant Thornthwaite Beacon just about visible (centre shot) on the horizon.
Photo 10 – A view down Longsleddale, from beside the summit cairn on Goat Scar.
Photo 11 – Yoke, (Rainsborrow Crag), Ill Bell, Froswick, etc., as seen from Stile End Farm.
Photo 12 – A final look back at the horseshoe, taken on the approach back to Kentmere, and showing most of the fells visited on this walk. – ( From left to right: Yoke, Ill Bell, Froswick, part of Thornthwaite Beacon, High Street, Mardale Ill Bell, Harter Fell, and the flanks of Kentmere Pike ): -

If you would like to see more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... ?f=2&t=586

Attachments
01 Goat House Scar, Cowsty Knotts etc..jpg
Photo 01.
02 Garburn Pass path.jpg
Photo 02.
06 Kentmere Res-Nan Bield Pass.jpg
Photo 03.
11 Froswick-High Street view.jpg
Photo 04.
15 Froswick - Ill Bell.jpg
Photo 05.
17 Thornthwaite Beacon.jpg
Photo 06.
27 High Street from M.I.B..jpg
Photo 07.
34 Small & HawesWater.jpg
Photo 08.
41 Fell Ponies.jpg
Photo 09.
45 Longsleddale.jpg
Photo 10.
50 Stile End view.jpg
Photo 11.
52 Kentmere view.jpg
Photo 12.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:03 pm

With a glorious day pretty much guaranteed, in the extended spell of dry sunny weather we’re having, I made another trip to the Lake District on Monday 2nd July, intent on walking Langstrath, a valley I hadn't previously visited, along with Glaramara and Allen Crags, – two fells that I hadn't visited in many a year.
I started from the National Trust car park beside the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel in Great Langdale, walking along Mickleden valley and then over the Stake Pass, descending into Langstrath by the steep but well defined zig-zag path.

I then followed Langstrath Beck along the valley floor, passing below Cam Crag and visiting Black Moss Pot, before continuing onwards to Stonethwaite, (passing through Stonethwaite Farm Campsite along the way).

Then came a short road walk over to Strands Bridge on the B5289, there turning back onto the fellside to pick up the Combe Gill path towards Thornythwaite Fell.

From Thornythwaite Fell, I continued on the ascending ridgeline path to Glaramara, and onwards to Allen Crags. From there, descending to Esk Hause, and taking the Tongue Head path to Angle Tarn and the head of Rossett Ghyll, before the final descent back to Mickleden and the valley walk back to the O.D.G. Hotel and the car.

Although it was quite a long walk at 17.9 miles, the total time taken (11hr. 44min), wasn't really representative for the mileage. Actual moving time was 8hr. 49min. - The day was very warm indeed, with little in the way of a breeze, and besides stopping for lunch, taking photographs, and a lengthy conversation with two elderly ladies, numerous short breaks were also taken just to take in the scenery and mop the brow! :D

I’d set off carrying 2½ litres of drinks, but the day was so warm that I needed to top that up with a further 2 litres of water from streams before the walk was completed. - I'm a little bit wary of drinking stream water these days, so when that's necessary, (and if I'm not carrying a water filter), I use water purification tablets. - They weigh next to nothing, and I always carry a few in the rucksack, "just in case".

On the day, some sort of problem with the camera resulted in all photos taken between Black Moss Pot and the start of the climb to Thornythwaite Fell, (in and around Stonethwaite area). disappearing by the time I came to upload the files to the computer.
Somewhat frustrating, as I don’t now have a photographic record of that section of the walk. – I have no idea what might have happened, but have since replaced the memory card to (hopefully!) prevent a reoccurrence.

Other than for that little niggle, it was another superb day out on the Lakeland fells.

Regards,
Mike.

#GPX Track - 1 to 50000 Scale.jpg
# Walk Elevation Profile.jpg

Photo 01 – The Langdale Pikes. (Seen from the roadside near Elterwater, on the approach to Great Langdale).
Photo 02 – A Red Deer hind. – One of several seen across Mickleden valley, (near to Stool End Farm), not long after starting the walk.
Photo 03 – Looking back along Mickleden towards the walk’s starting point, from part way up on the ascent of Stake Pass.
Photo 04 – The Crinkle Crags – Bowfell – Esk Pike vista, as seen from the cairn at the top of Stake Pass.
Photo 05 – A zoomed in close-up of Bowfell’s crags, (Great Slab prominent in centre), as seen from Stake Pass summit plateau.
Photo 06 – A little further on, and Langstrath comes into view. (Cam Crag prominent across the valley).
Photo 07 – Looking down into the crystal clear water of Langstrath Beck at Black Moss Pot.
Photo 08 – Looking towards a distant Skiddaw, Blencathra, Derwentwater etc. – From the flanks of Glaramara.
Photo 09 – A useful looking wind shelter at Glaramara summit. (Although definitely not needed on a day like this!). – With Great Gable etc. in the background.
Photo 10 – A close-up of Pike O’Stickle, from Glaramara’s summit plateau.
Photo 11 – The Langdale Pikes, viewed across two of the many small tarns seen on the ridgeline between Glaramara and Allen Crags.
Photo 12 – Looking across Angle Tarn to Hanging Knotts crags, at the northern end of Bowfell.

If you would like to see a more extensive description, and lots more photos from this walk, see: - https://www.walklakes.co.uk/talk/viewto ... =594#p1227

Attachments
01 Langdale Pikes 1.jpg
Photo 01.
04 Red Deer hind.jpg
Photo 02.
09 Mickleden.jpg
Photo 03.
10 Stake Pass - Bowfell.jpg
Photo 04.
11 Great Slab - Bowfell.jpg
Photo 05.
12 Langstrath 1.jpg