Bonnet fungus

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Bonnet fungus

Post by Bob Hazell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:01 pm

These images were taken at Draycote Water, Warwickshire earlier this week. Each specimen was in close proximity to one and other. They were growing in an area with significant leaf litter and decaying wood. The cap size varied between about 2 and 5 cm. Stipe length is difficult to judge due to the amount of leaf litter but about 6cm - colour off white but appearing to darken from the base with age. In all cases the gills were a greyish colour. I assume all are similar specimens, namely Mycena but am unsure beyond that. Mycena galericulata seemed the most likely but I understand the gills become pinkish with age and I saw no evidence of this. Any help in narrowing down the identification would be greatly appreciated.
P1320728web.jpg
P1320734web.jpg
P1320769web.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Bonnet fungus

Post by mollisia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 pm

Hello,

this is a Psathyrella species ("Brittlestem". The dark gills indicate dark brown spore colour, whereas Bonnets have white spore colour.

best rgards,
Andreas

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Hello Andreas,
Thank you for taking the time to respond and for correcting my initial thoughts on identification. Your explanation regarding the gills/spores is very helpful. I appreciate Psathyrella is a difficult group to distinguish without microscopic examination.
Regards,
Bob

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Hello Bob,

yes, usually not possible to determine on species level without microscopy. Depending on the experience one has there are a minor number of species which can be recognized in the field. Yours doesn't belong to these, though an exper will surely narrow it down to maybe a handful of possible species.

best regards,
Andreas