A Fragile Dapperling?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Techoten
Regular user

A Fragile Dapperling?

Post by Techoten » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:37 pm

I was wondering whether this could be a Fragile Dapperling ( Leucocoprinus fragilissimus ). It was certainly fragile as it quite easily fell to bits. Seems to look to me like a dapperling but the problem is the spores seem small at ~6 x 4 μm whereas I read that L. fragiliissimus has much larger spores. Any ideas ??
Many thanks.
Attachments
Fungi-3-12.jpg
Fungi-4-9.jpg
Fungi-5-7.jpg

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: A Fragile Dapperling?

Post by roy betts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:17 am

The Leucocoprinus key in FAN5 doesn't have fragilisimus, but your specimen has the right spore size for L. cygnus, so it is probably that species.
It may be worth checking against Leucoagaricus. There is a complex of small white species with rings (serenus, sericifer, crystalifer), although all their spores seem too large (5.5-10µ in length) for your measurements.
PS: I've just looked up fragilissimus in FE4 and the spores for this species are 9-11(13) x 6.5-7.5(8.5)µ: it's on the British Checklist but has not been recorded since 1904!

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Many thanks Roy, once again your help is much appreciated.
There isn't much info about Leucocoprinus cygneus (Lepiota cygnea) online, but there are a few images about. E.g http://www.mushroom114.or.kr/images2/ba ... 1032-4.jpg. which look very similar.
Do you think it would be too presumptuous to recordi it as L.cygneus
Best regards.
Colin.

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:41 pm

You don't say how big it was! Leucocoprinus cygneus is 4-15mm according to FAN5. Similar Leucoagaricus spp. can be quite small (eg: L. serenus: 10-35mm). But if there were no spores larger than 6-7(7.5)µ then it does key out as this. It seems pretty rare with only 2 records on FRDBI.

Techoten
Regular user

Post by Techoten » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:31 pm

It was very small, 15mm or just less and the spores were all under 7µ. I still have the dried sample. Do you think it would be accepted if I put it on record? Talking about having only 2 record on FRDBI, I found some small spindles on Willow today which look remarkably like Multiclavula mucida and that only has 2 records. I'll put it on the forum later to see what people think.
Thanks again Roy.
Colin