Amanita Porphyria?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bazz
User

Amanita Porphyria?

Post by Bazz » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:38 am

I saw this specimen on acid soil near Oak and Birch, between 5 and 7 cms across and my best guess was Amanita Porphria and wondered if this indeed might be the case. I have lightened the photo slightly from the original if by chance it aids ID.
Attachments
imageedit__8758375585.jpg
imageedit_1_9570302024.jpg

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: Amanita Porphyria?

Post by roy betts » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:28 pm

In my limited experience of porphyria it has a much darker cap (with purple-violaceous tones: hence the name).
Could it be excelsa? Is the stipe above the ring grooved?
What was the volva like? Amanita (like Agaricus) can be very tricky and there are a lot more species than there used to be! Examination and description of all parts of the fruit-body is generally required along with shape and size of spores.

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Amanita Porphyria?

Post by mollisia » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:38 am

Hello,

I agree with Roy on that the cap colour is to grey for A. porphyrea. Moreover, the ring of A. porphyrea is always coloured (at least underside) and very weak in structure so that it is soon completely adhearing to the stipe - such a stable white ring is typical for A. excelsa bvut would not appear in neither A. porphyrea nor A. pantherina usually.

best regards,
Andreas