ID for a Cortinarius ???

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

ID for a Cortinarius ???

Post by Wood Wanderer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 pm

This may be a fool's errand but I have been trying to ID what I felt was a fairly distinctive Cortinarius ...

Quite small at 2 cm across the cap and growing under young plantation oak but with other trees close by, spore print a definite rust colour, stipe 4 cm.

The distinctive white fibres on the cap have led to either C. hemitrichus or C. flexipes and the brown colouring suggests (to me anyway) flexipes.

Is anyone prepared to offer an opinion, I am quite happy to be told I am miles off if that be the case ?

regards

John
Attachments
DSC_0096.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0098.JPG
Last edited by adampembs on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no need to use inline attachments in this case

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: ID for a Cortinarius ???

Post by mollisia » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am

Hello,

difficult to say something to this.
It would be interesting to see how the veil on the cap looks like when the cap is a bit dryer: Are there distict scales or is the veil +/- fibrillous? Also it would be necessary to see wether the gills had a violet colour (it looks like) - and we need the spore size.

C. hemitrichus is confine to birch and looks different (cap convex and never acutely umbonate) and C. flexipes has a distinct smell and a somewhat different veil probably.

May be it is something like C. umbrinolens or decipiens.

best regards,
Andreas

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Re: ID for a Cortinarius ???

Post by Wood Wanderer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

mollisia wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am
Hello,

difficult to say something to this.
It would be interesting to see how the veil on the cap looks like when the cap is a bit dryer: Are there distict scales or is the veil +/- fibrillous? Also it would be necessary to see wether the gills had a violet colour (it looks like) - and we need the spore size.

C. hemitrichus is confine to birch and looks different (cap convex and never acutely umbonate) and C. flexipes has a distinct smell and a somewhat different veil probably.

May be it is something like C. umbrinolens or decipiens.

best regards,
Andreas
Thanks for your thoughts Andreas, I wondered about decipiens also but lack the knowledge to be at all certain .... ;) still at least I can probably rule out hemitrichus and flexipes. Unable to comment re the veil on the cap when dry as the sample went all soggy.

Your comments are as ever much appreciated

Regards

John