Do I have an Inocybe?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Ernesto
User

Do I have an Inocybe?

Post by Ernesto » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:57 pm

I would appreciate some help with this. Found (25 Aug) growing alone in grass in an arable field headland. Cap is about 10 cm in dia. Thanks in anticipation.
Attachments
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Do I have an Inocybe?

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm

Just spotted the word "arable"; Inocybe therefore very unlikely - how about rather old Volvariella gloiocephala? Habitat is spot on, and tweaking white balance the spore print looks pinkish, nothing like Inocybe spores. Did it have free gills? might you have missed a volva?

regards
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Entoloma sp?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:13 am

adampembs wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 pm
Entoloma sp?
That was my first thought, but the minute I saw the habitat I discounted that; "an arable field headland" implies something like http://eunis.eea.europa.eu/habitats/352. Looking at the images again and seeing that large "hole" in the spore print v. the stipe diameter I'm more certain than ever about Volvariella gloiocephala; also I can't think of any Entoloma spp. that might fit . . .
Last edited by Chris Yeates on Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Waxcap
Frequent user

Post by Waxcap » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:17 am

Chris Yeates wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:59 pm
Just spotted the word "arable"; Inocybe therefore very unlikely - how about rather old Volvariella gloiocephala? Habitat is spot on, and tweaking white balance the spore print looks pinkish, nothing like Inocybe spores. Did it have free gills? might you have missed a volva?

regards
Chris
I'm sure you are right Chris. The bits of vegetation stuck to the cap point to Volvariella gloiocephala as well. Its name is derived from the Greek words gloio - meaning glue and cephalus - meaning head (it has a sticky cap when wet). The volva is often missed or missing (possibly eaten away).

Ernesto
User

Post by Ernesto » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:26 am

Many thanks to you all, a great collaborative effort! My first thoughts were Entoloma but I was quite distracted by the colour of the spore print - I'm looking at it now and there's really not much hint of pink. But you're right, the habitat fits very well with Volvariella, although I usually find them well within the decaying crop residues (especially cereals).

Thanks again to you all.