Red capped, red pored Bolete?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Peter F
New user

Red capped, red pored Bolete?

Post by Peter F » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:55 am

I would be interested in opinions on this bolete. It was under oak, and in an area where B luridiformis is common, but the reddish cap makes me think otherwise, while the flesh is pale and bruises only faintly blue.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Red capped, red pored Bolete?

Post by adampembs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi Peter,

I think you will struggle to get IDs on very dilapidated specimens as this, although someone might surprise me (they often do :-) )

A photo of the pores/gills, cap, and stem are required and the fruit-body should be in more or less intact condition.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:29 am

I agree with Adam in that you need details of the stipe (especially whether it had a net or was only punctate etc.). Colour changes to the flesh are also important but these may not be 'typical' if you have over mature specimens (eg: old luridus may not discolour blue at all).

Peter F
New user

Post by Peter F » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 am

The stem, or what's left of it, is the ragged mess to the right of the main part of the cap. I wouldn't care to guess what colour it was originally, but the surface does seem to be quite rough.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Moral of the story: ignore poor condition specimens :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin