Rust for ID please

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
adampembs
Frequent user

Rust for ID please

Post by adampembs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm

No idea of the plant. It was growing in marsh. Can anyone help?
Attachments
DSCF3940.jpg
DSCF3941.jpg
DSCF3942.jpg
Rust-0001.jpg
Rust-0002.jpg
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Rust for ID please

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Adam,

I haven't checked with your microscopy details, but the leaves look very much like those of Ground Ivy - Glechoma hederacea.

So that would make this stage III of the rust Puccinia glechomatis.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:02 pm

With respect to Mike those aren't Glechoma leaves which should be more round–kidney-shaped, and - critically - with a cordate base. My money would be on Veronica montana (though "marsh" seems a bit odd - was the habitat open or somewhat wooded?). The pale teliospores (stage III is only stage) would fit Puccinia veronicae as well.

Chris

EDIT Just had a close look at the first image, and below the bit of almost white leaf fragment I can make out a fruit capsule - compare with https://beginnersbotany.files.wordpress ... 219369.jpg. As I say Veronica montana for me . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Quite right, it was alder/willow carr. I should have been more specific. Very wet. It borders with proper marsh, with bullrushes, water mint etc.

The plant is definitely the one you mention, Chris. I saw it in flower there a couple of weeks back but didn't notice the leaves.

Last recorded here on the BMS foray 1987 (that you attended!) so a nice record :)

Thanks both.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Ooops! :oops:

Yes, sorry both. - Didn't look closely enough at those leaves! - Should have gone to Specsavers!

Dare I admit that I've actually got quite a bit of Ground Ivy, (and it really is Ground Ivy :oops: ), in the garden, too. :roll:

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.