Cortinarius?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
jimhowell
Regular user

Cortinarius?

Post by jimhowell » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi

I found this at Ashburnham Woods in East Sussex, under Beech. The flesh is distinctly violet and there is a tinge of violet on the stipe and cap. The cap is about 5 cm diameter. Sorry, no spores.
Attachments
IMG_4346 (400x300).jpg
IMG_4348 (400x300).jpg
IMG_4351 (400x300).jpg

ScarletMaguire
User

Re: Cortinarius?

Post by ScarletMaguire » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Cortinarius is a huge group- I think you usually need spores to identify to species level.

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Cortinarius?

Post by adampembs » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 am

About 1000 species of Cortinarius. Microscopy is of very limited use with them, looking at spores isn't much help. ID depends on seeing them at different stages, smell, host, etc. I think the best in print English language book is still Cortinarius in Sweden. which covers 254 species.
Adam Pollard
Site admin