Possible Cotylida

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
MykoGolfer
User

Possible Cotylida

Post by MykoGolfer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 am

The Manager of Ainsdale Sand Dunes Reserve sent me a photo of a fungus growing with moss and needles on a sandy pathway. I collected this fungus, now attacked by slugs, on Sunday and collected two more in situ. The largest is 2cms high including stem. They look like Cotylidia undulata but the spore size, taken as a spore print, of 5-7 x 3-4um is too large as described in the literature I have. The microscopy is not easy due to sand under the cover slips. I also identified 4 spore basidias. I have not been able to identify what is attached to the stems of all the specimens. It seems hard but breaks up when cut. Sclerotia or just the sand collected by the mycelium?
I also looked at Stereopsis but that also has smaller spores.
Have I got Cotylidia undulata with a larger spore than usual? Does the spore size matter? Or is there another species that I have not yet found?
Having reached the limit of my expertise, knowledge and literature, I should appreciate any assistance.
Attachments
tn_DSCF1749.JPG
specimen in situ
tn_Ainsdale Mystery.jpg
scanned collection