Any idea?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bazz
User

Any idea?

Post by Bazz » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:51 pm

I came across these and have had no luck in getting any form of ID, what family might these come from? I would appreciate any info...
Attachments
imageedit__3983609426.jpg

roy betts
Frequent user

Re: Any idea?

Post by roy betts » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:11 pm

We also need more info! The shape of the cap is not diagnostic. We need at least to see a view of the gills (to be able to make some guess at the spore colour). They might be in the Genus Inocybe, but I've nothing to go on except that the fungus has a brown, somewhat fibrillose cap.
You don't indicate where they were growing; if it's in the middle of a grassland it won't be an Inocybe....

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Hello Bazz

see http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49#p237 Mycology is a difficult study for much of the time - I wonder how you even started to get "any form of ID" on just this evidence . . .

regards
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Bazz
User

Post by Bazz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Apologies for not adding the gills photo, I actually took the photo's a few years back and I have to say I haven't seen any of
a similar kind since, they were in woodland, they remind me of "beefeater" hats ...
Attachments
imageedit__8808698683.jpg

roy betts
Frequent user

Post by roy betts » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:02 pm

I was wrong, it's a Cortinarius. As it's the largest Genus, with several hundred species in the UK, it is divided into Sub-Genera. With it's fibrous cap this may be in Sub Genus Leprocybe.