Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii

Steve
Frequent user

Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii

Post by Steve » Thu May 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi,
I was asked by my Longshaw Survey colleague, Les, to check some dead attached Hawthorn leaves for the anamorphic form of the stalked cup which is found on old Hawthorn berries. The strong flowery perfume from the leaves was discussed by Peter at the BMS Spring Foray in South Yorkshire last year. That the scent should be a mimic of the Hawthorn flowers is a very attractive one - Peter's hypothesis is that insects are attracted to the leaves and carry away conidia to disperse the fungus. Ergot produces a sweet solution which induces insects to carry spores in a similar way. The conidia are illustated in Ellis and Ellis as a tiny string of beads. I found the best way to see these is by scraping the white "mould" off the dead leaves onto a slide, and then avoid putting water on - just look at the conidia in an air mount - it stops the spore chains breaking up. The fungus looks to be a problem in the States. We've searched the Longshaw Estate Hawthorns without success, for both the perfect form and the conidial - annoyingly Monilinia johnsonii (the conidial form) is found just up our road in Sheffield. The only records I have for the Sheffield region (70 km square centred on the city) are from 20 May 2011, Worsborough in South Yorkshire, from a BMS visit - it looks as though the 2 records are duplicated, but one indicates the anamorph was found. We found it there again last year. We have plenty of Monilinia fructigena (brown rot of apple) records, including from our allotment. I always check the old apples for the cup fungus - just in case....
Steve
Attachments
Monilinia johnsonii conidia small.jpg
Conidia chain x 600 in air
Monilinia johnsonii small.jpg
Leaves affected by M. johnsonii

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii

Post by Lancashire Lad » Thu May 21, 2015 11:33 pm

Excellent post Steve, very interesting.

I found a local site earlier this year with literally thousands of Monilinia johnsonii - "Haw Goblets": -
Haw Goblet (2a).jpg
I shall now have to try to find the anamorph stage, and hopefully be able to see some of those conidial chains for myself!

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Wood Wanderer
Frequent user

Post by Wood Wanderer » Fri May 22, 2015 9:51 am

Interesting thread Steve, I have also found Haw Goblet quite often around here but never noticed the anamorph stage.

regards

John

rustbucket
Regular user

Post by rustbucket » Sat May 23, 2015 7:26 am

very impressive photographs - never seen the species before.

Steve
Frequent user

Post by Steve » Sat May 23, 2015 11:51 am

Neither had I till Peter from the BMS pointed it out on the Spring Foray. I'm still looking for my first Hawthorn Cup - a good place to look would be earlier in the year under the bushes/trees where the Hawthorn Blight is noted - a bit difficult for me as this is in someone's garden. Most of these cups are far smaller than I ever expected.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun May 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Well - That was easier than I thought it might be. :D

On a short foray with a friend yesterday afternoon, in the perimeter woodlands around a local reservoir.

The very first Hawthorn we examined had a few scattered leaves showing the symptoms: - dry, curled, & brown, with grey furry/powdery coating.

Examined under the scope (dry as per Steve's suggestion) - the exact same bead-like chains of conidia: -

Click on image to view at full size
Monilinia johnsonii Anamorph (Conidial Chains x400 with scale).jpg

Regards,
Mike

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Sun May 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Yes, found some just starting to brown last week in Galloway - its quite common once you have seen/smelt it - brilliant to show folk with its smell of incense -but never, in spite of huge looking, found the cups on the floor berries............must try harder.
Cheers
Ken
Attachments
Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii.JPG

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Mon May 25, 2015 7:35 am

Doing my BBS Bird survey this morning, takes me past so many Hawthorns - so I had a look at them all as a rough estimate, around 2/3 of mature trees have the leaves browned/furry/rolled up...........so pretty frequent round here! (Saddleworth). 8-)
Cheers
Ken

Ditiola
User

Post by Ditiola » Wed May 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi

Lots of the Anomorph in Southern Derbyshire. I have been noting the trees with the most affected leaves so I can look for the Teliomorph next spring

Peter

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Wed May 27, 2015 5:31 pm

Ditiola wrote:Hi

Lots of the Anomorph in Southern Derbyshire. I have been noting the trees with the most affected leaves so I can look for the Teliomorph next spring

Peter
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum - good to have you on board.
The strength of knowledge amongst those registering here on UK Fungi is growing by the day. ;)

Regards,
Mike.

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Wed May 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi Peter, great to have you aboard.
Anamorph close-up shots from today next to the R Wharfe in Ilkley.
Attachments
Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii 1.JPG
Hawthorn Leaf Blight - Monilinia johnsonii.JPG

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed May 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi Ken
It was Peter who pointed this out to me a couple of years ago - astonishing how one can miss things for decades :oops: . I walked from Ravensthorpe to Huddersfield by the river/canal on Monday and must have seen hundreds of infected leaves along virtually the whole stretch . . .

cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"