Two moss IDs

Huma
User

Two moss IDs

Post by Huma » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Taking my first (tremulous) steps with moss ID. I am attaching two photos of recent finds, which I am struggling to identify. All are present at Newbold Comyn, Warwickshire in an area of mixed woodland. My best guesses for #1 are either homalia trichomanoides or brachythecium rutabulum. It forms a blanket cover on the lower parts of trees in a very shaded site. For #2 I am speculating with kindbergia praelonga. Any help would be most gratefully received. Hugh
Attachments
DSC00117.JPG
DSC00122.JPG

Huma
User

Re: Two moss IDs

Post by Huma » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 am

Since my original post, I have now purchased the BBS's excellent Field Guide: "Mosses and Liverworts of Britain and Ireland". As others have noted, it is very clear, comprehensive and provides an excellent steer. Highly recommended. I can now dismiss homalia trichomanoides.

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:34 pm

Huma wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 am
Since my original post, I have now purchased the BBS's excellent Field Guide: "Mosses and Liverworts of Britain and Ireland". As others have noted, it is very clear, comprehensive and provides an excellent steer. Highly recommended. I can now dismiss homalia trichomanoides.
Now you have the field guide, your should make good progress. I hope you took some home to look at the structure and leaf detail. Shape of leaf and nerve are important. A x10 hand lens is useful or better still, a dissecting microscope.

I think Brachythecium rutabulum is very likely for the first. I doubt Kindbergia praelonga for the second though. That species has pinnate shoots while yours in more straggly. Rhytidiadelphus comes to mind but it doesn't appear to have the red stems.

Good luck.

Chris

Huma
User

Post by Huma » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Many thanks Chris for your advice. A dissecting microscope is now on the cards. Cheers, Hugh