Confirmation Required.

Corticoids, Crusts, Brackets, and any non-mushroom like fungi growing on wood
denisg
New user

Confirmation Required.

Post by denisg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:36 pm

My fist post here and hello everyone. I have been photographing fungi for many years and have idetified them usually from my own books or the internet. Most are still unidentified but if anyone would like to look at a few of my colletion from all over the UK and the gallery will be increasing rapidly at the moment. The Fungi section of my gallery is at http://www.denisg.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5 where most if not all are known but I just haven't managed to add the names yet. I am not asking for mass help here, just a few to look at if you wish.

Anyway, my question is that we have a very strange one growing on a fallen silver birch at the moment which is approx 38cm (15") wide by approx 30cm high. Never seen anything like it before so is it, as I suspect, a simple deformed birch bracket or have the aliens actually landed?

My best regards to you all.

Denis.
Attachments
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Confirmation Required.

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

Yes, this is Birch Polypore - Piptoporus betulinus, (or Fomitopsis betulinus as I think it's called these days!).

It often grows into these large undulating shapes.

As for your fungi gallery, there are quite a few on there that would be able to identified, but for future reference, in case you decide to upload for ID here, please take a moment to read: -
http://www.fungi.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49 HELP US TO HELP YOU TO IDENTIFY YOUR FINDS.

We appreciate that you might not be able to provide all the necessary information, but the more details you can give, the better chance you will have of confident identification suggestions.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.