Website images scroll or click?

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Website images scroll or click?

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Hello everyone,
I am re-designing the Outer Hebrides Fungi website (http://www.outerhebridesfungi.co.uk/) and I would like to ask for your views on how you like sites to work.
  • Do you prefer to scroll through images or click on a carousel?
    If there are a series of photographs of the macro and micro-structures, should they be displayed separately e.g. on a different tab or if they are at the end of a long scroll of images would it be useful to have a link to take you down the page to where they start or to mention that they exists in the text at the top of the page?
    Do you prefer a systematic list (species arranged by families), an A-Z list, just a search box or a combination of options ?
    Would you find a UK distribution map for each species useful?
This is essentially a question of whether you prefer to click or scroll.
Chris and I have differing views, so we've decided to ask for the opinions of forum members

Many thanks

Christine

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Website images scroll or click?

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:01 am

Hi,

To some extent my preferences would be dependant on whether the images are to be shown as thumbnails or "full" size.

I'd rather scroll through a series of images than have what I think you are referring to as a carousel. :oops:
(I'm not a fan of those types of gallery where you see one large image and have to click on an arrow to see the next (or previous) image).

If the images are to be shown initially as thumbnails which have then to be clicked on to see the full size image, then it would seem logical to show any micro-structure images also as thumbnails, alongside the macro image thumbnail(s) for any given species.

If they are to be shown straight away at "full" size, then perhaps it might be better, (to avoid extensive scrolling), to show one "definitive" image for the species in question, and have a hyperlink to a separate page for any related macro/micro images.

For preference, my ideal would be a simple A-Z species list, with each included species also showing a representative thumbnail image, and hyperlinked to a separate "species specific" page for any additional images of that particular species. - Perhaps with some indication on the initial "species index" listing that micro-structure images are available.
Then it would be easy to search by species name, and it would be immediately obvious if additional /micro-structure images were available.
Or, if the species name wasn't known, the species thumbnail images could be browsed, to see if anything looked promising for the particular search.

If the species list is very extensive, then scrolling down an A-Z listing could become something of a chore - especially if searching for a Xylaria species for example. :D
Perhaps separate tabbed pages for each letter might become appropriate, or maybe a set of "alphabet letters hyperlinks" near the top of the species index page such that any letter could be clicked on, taking the person searching directly to the first species name beginning with that letter?

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Re: Website images scroll or click?

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:13 am

Hello Mike,
Thank you for your well considered and detailed comments.

I have already tackled the problem of excessive scrolling through A-Z lists, having to scoll down acres to type to get to W can be irritating.

The images are all full-size - Chris has a particular dislike of thumbnails, so I am working on a solution for indicating the presence of the microscopy images. Although images of spores and cellular structures are probably a minority interest, for serious (and not too serious mycologists) they can be useful.

This project should keep me busy this winter, but when it's finished I will be back to ask for some critical feedback.

Many thanks from a dark and cold island in the NW Atlantic

Christine