Please can I have some ID help with these white rhizomes

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Gizmo123
New user

Please can I have some ID help with these white rhizomes

Post by Gizmo123 »

]Hello all, I’m hoping someone here can help me!

I have a pile of deadwood at the back of the garden, that areas is covered in weed matting underneath and then woodchip. These long white rhizomes have started growing from the logs and spreading across the woodchip and weed matting. They have spread a long way fairly quickly!!
I know they look a little like roots but when you see them in person they are 100% fungi.
I think it’s very young honey fungus bootlaces coming from the rotting logs, before they darken and turn reddish then black.

I was wondering if there are any experienced people here that have seen similar with young honey fungus. If is in indeed what I think I want to act quickly to contain this area as I know how destructive honey fungus can be. I found what look like some older black bootlaces on a couple of the logs too. I’m very fascinated by fungi but honey fungus is the only one I’m not keen to have in a domestic garden!

I would really appreciate some advice,
Thank you!
Attachments
631B568B-5188-422D-BF44-291100BF0281.jpeg
0090B18D-645B-426B-8662-02C9B2B27C35.jpeg
7AD270E2-BF3D-467F-8317-87C00E4BA477.jpeg
EE850E96-CC6B-42C9-AC90-D72DCE5BC580.jpeg
Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Please can I have some ID help with these white rhizomes

Post by Lancashire Lad »

Hi, and a somewhat belated welcome to UK Fungi.

It seems that no one is venturing any opinions on your "fungus".

Probably because, like me, they have no idea what it might actually be. :?

These strands don't look like any sort of mycelium that I've seen, and although I suppose they could be the beginnings of Honey Fungus "bootlaces", I've certainly never seen any looking like this.

Had you been on a botany oriented website rather than a fungi one, and without any mention of fungi, I would have assumed that these were some sort of root, or possibly etiolated stem growth from seeds germinated below the weed matting being deprived of light.

However, if you are absolutely certain that the growth is fungal, then it is probable that whatever it is, is obtaining its nourishment from the woodchip.
And once established like this, will be virtually impossible to eradicate/contain, unless all the woodchip and any other potential fungal food-source can be completely removed.
Otherwise, it will just continue to grow until it has exhausted the nutrients available.

Not a very positive answer to your query, but with a bit of luck, someone else might just have a better one.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.
Peter Roberts
Regular user

Post by Peter Roberts »

I too would hesitate to identify a fungus on the basis of its rhizomorphs - but your photos don't suggest honey fungus to me. They do suggest Megacollybia platyphylla - a wood-rotting toadstool that has been given the English name "whitelace shank" because of its long, white rhizomorphs - or possibly Phallus impudicus, the stinkhorn, which produces similar structures and is also a wood-rotter. Both are harmless, so I think you are probably safe...but I can't guarantee it.
Fay Newbery
Regular user

Post by Fay Newbery »

Honey fungus rhizomorphs are black from a very early stage. I don't think you need to worry about that particular group. If you want another opinion, though, you could tweet your photos and ask @Jassydrak.
Interestingly, honey fungus rhizomorphs are bright white on the inside. If you split one with a finger nail it tears back like a cheese string and reveals the white central strand.