Amanita or similar?

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
jimmymac2
Frequent user

Amanita or similar?

Post by jimmymac2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello everyone

This is what I assume to be an Amanita or a similar fungus. It was found growing at Old Lodge SWT, a reserve set in the middle of the heathland of Ashdown Forest. It was growing in a part with few trees, however it was under a solitary Oak with none others nearby. I'm having trouble matching it to any of the Amanitas in Phillips - thick stipe coupled with a dark-centred brown cap - so I've either overlooked something or it's in a different genus.

On the thick stipe was a noticeable white veil. The spore print was also white.

Any IDs much appreciated!

James
Attachments
DSCN6850r.jpg
DSCN6852r.jpg
DSCN6852 spores measured.jpg
DSCN6852 spores unmeasured.jpg
Always keep your eyes open... :shock:

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Amanita or similar?

Post by adampembs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 pm

The first thing to check for with an Amanita is the presence of a volva or bulbous base. If you use your knife to scrape away soil from the base, you can sometimes see this for the purpose of a photo.

A gill shot is essential, showing gill attachment to the stem. I assume you collected it.

Here is a lovely example (I usually frown on external images, as new finds are good to be seen here first, the poster keeps copyright, and some sources are questionable, but Wikimedia is a trustworthy one)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

jimmymac2
Frequent user

Re: Amanita or similar?

Post by jimmymac2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi Adam

I didn't personally see a clear volva however there may have been a less distinct one present. On this occasion I refrained from uprooting or collecting the fungus, except for a tiny portion of the cap for a spore deposit. I normally wouldn't do this however it is a very special reserve and there was only a single fruiting body. It's a well recorded reserve too, so I'm sure that there's a high chance of the species, whatever it is, already being recorded here.

On other occasions, when it's not on a special reserve or there is more than one fruiting body, I would have uprooted it to see the gills.

James
Always keep your eyes open... :shock: