Unidentified fungi from NT Longshaw Estate

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Unidentified fungi from NT Longshaw Estate

Post by Bob Hazell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:17 pm

I photographed these fungi (and several others) at the National Trust Longshaw Estate in Derbyshire on 9th December and clearly didn't pay sufficient attention, initially believing them to be Waxcaps as they are so prevalent across the estate. They were all growing in grazed unimproved pasture land interspersed with mixed woodland. They were all abundant generally growing in small groups of two or three.
P1320905web.jpg
P1320931web.jpg
P1320971web.jpg
P1320984web.jpg
I suspect these are all the same. The cap was up to 5cms and in some specimens appeared striate at the margin. The centre of the cap appeared slightly darker. The stipe is either off white or fawn but certainly not white. For a Waxcap e.g. Hygrocybe virginea I would expect a pure white cap and stipe and therefore wonder whether the fungi are Collybia/Gymnopus aquosa.
P1320924web.jpg
The specimen above, however, does have a pure white stipe and a cap which is grey/fawn towards the centre. I suspect this may be Hygrocybe virginea.
The final specimen (below) may just be one that is over mature but it occurred to me that it may be Collybia/Gymnopus dryophila.
P1330006web.jpg
I appreciate I haven't given detailed descriptions but hope the photographs will do the "talking". As always any help would be much appreciated.