Galerina??? growing in compost

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Galerina??? growing in compost

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:45 am

This small fungus was growing in a large flower pot filled with compost in my Rugby garden (on 18th February). There were about 6 in all. All specimens were short lived. The smallest had a cap only about 0.5cm dia and the largest a little over a cm. Initially convex or umbonate they appeared to flatten with age. The gills are distant. The stipe was about 3cm and had a small ring. The stipe is a similar colour to the cap and has white fibrils. I suspect they are a Galerina species but would again welcome the thoughts of those far better informed than me.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Galerina??? growing in compost

Post by Chris Johnson » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi Bob

I would be looking at Conocybe, perhaps something close to Conocybe rugosa.

Cheers, Chris

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:21 am

Hello,

yes, its not a Galerina, but a Pholiotina (Conocybe subgenus Pholiotina), as you can see that the ring is striate. This is never the case in Galerina.

best,
Andreas

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Thank you Chris and Andreas. In particular thanks for the explanation regarding the striate ring. I thought cryptic crosswords were difficult but fungi are in a completely different league! :)
Regards,
Bob

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:33 pm

I have collected Pholiotina hadrocystis on a soil/woodchip mix in a town centre raised flower-bed, but you need microscopy to take these to species.
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks Chris for your thoughts. Certainly images of some Pholiotina hadrocystis that I have seen are pretty similar, but as you say without microscopy I am unable to take it further. I have done as Andreas suggested and recorded the images as Conocybe subgenus Pholiotina. Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Bob