unknown unusual mushroom

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
mbadem
New user

unknown unusual mushroom

Post by mbadem » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:00 am

Hi, I have seen an unusual mushroom in my allotment yesterday in the north of London.
It is on the soil and around 2-3 cm size.
Can anyone help me identifying it please?
Attachments
P_20190317_170441.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: unknown unusual mushroom

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:00 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

Your mushroom is one of the "Morel" species.

The photo appears to be slightly off-focus, but I'd say it has the general looks of a small Common Morel, Morchella esculenta.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi,

Repeat fruiting year on year of "naturally occurring" soil growing fungi can be something of a lottery.

You may be lucky, and find that more appear next year, (or indeed in a few days/weeks time, as spring is very much the season for morels).

Sometimes though, the appearance of mushrooms is a one-off occurrence. - They might fruit, sometimes in large numbers, in an area where they've never been seen previously, and then for whatever reason, they are never seen at that place again.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello,

the parallel ridges of the cap show that it is one of the black morels, means M. conica-elata group.

best regards,
Andreas