Fungus growing in deciduous woodland

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Fungus growing in deciduous woodland

Post by Bob Hazell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:23 pm

I am at a complete loss as to the identity of these fungi. The three specimens are growing within about a metre of one and other and I therefore assume they are the same species. They are growing in leaf litter (with twig debris) in a mixed deciduous woodland area at Draycote Water near Rugby. The cap varies in diameter from about 2.5cms to about 6cms. Assuming they are the same species the smaller specimen has an almost uniformly brown cap whereas the older specimens are larger and lighter brown (paler towards the edges). The gills appear distant and are creamy in colour. The stipe is up to about 7cms and looks fibrous and seems to peel with age. I could see no evidence of a ring. Any thoughts would be very welcome.
P1350930web.jpg
P1350931web.jpg
P1350985web.jpg
P1350934web.jpg

mollisia
Frequent user

Re: Fungus growing in deciduous woodland

Post by mollisia » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 am

Hello,

this is a Psathyrella species, but to name the species you need to have microscopical details and you need to have young specimens for veil details.

best wishes,
Andreas

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Re: Fungus growing in deciduous woodland

Post by Bob Hazell » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:33 pm

As Always, thanks for your help Andreas. I was really struggling to even identify the genus. Thanks again.
Regards,
Bob