Woodland Mushroom Identification

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Mossman
New user

Woodland Mushroom Identification

Post by Mossman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm

Have recently been trying to successfully ID a few more mushrooms and learn the latin names.

Really struggling to find reference and ID anything more miscellaneous like these guys.
Anyone have any ideas?
Attachments
1DE570BA-BC67-48CF-A7C1-888DD5FF77C8.jpeg
1061F5C9-32EB-4584-9C06-09000E3DEAB7.jpeg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Woodland Mushroom Identification

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

It would help to know whether the fallen trunk upon which they are growing is deciduous or conifer.

From the general appearance, they have the looks of one of the Tubaria species - maybe T.confragosa.

Regards.
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

eltio
Regular user

Post by eltio » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:45 pm

Could it be Honey Fungus?

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 pm

eltio wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:45 pm
No, looks quite wrong for honey fungus. What Mike said. Looks like a brown spored species. Was this found recently?
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello,

I think it could well be Galerina marginata, though Tubaria confragosa is also possible.

best, Andreas

Mossman
New user

Post by Mossman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pm

Lancashire Lad wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Hi, and welcome to UK Fungi.

It would help to know whether the fallen trunk upon which they are growing is deciduous or conifer.

From the general appearance, they have the looks of one of the Tubaria species - maybe T.confragosa.

Regards.
Mike.
Thanks Mike will check them out. It’s a deciduous log.

Mossman
New user

Post by Mossman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm

adampembs wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 pm
eltio wrote:
No, looks quite wrong for honey fungus. What Mike said. Looks like a brown spored species. Was this found recently?
Yea found recently.
Norfolk, UK

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:18 am

Mossman wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:35 pm
adampembs wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:11 pm
eltio wrote:
Yea found recently.
Norfolk, UK
A spore print would help. Honey fungus would be white and Tubaria would be a dull brown.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:59 am

I think that being found recently would completely discount Honey Fungus. - I'm not aware of any Armillaria that fruits (in UK) in spring? (Plus, I completely agree that they don't look like Honey Fungus).

Interesting that they were on deciduous wood.
Tubaria confragosa and Andreas' suggestion of Galerina marginata both favour conifer - (but they are sometimes found on deciduous wood too!). However, both species are generally found in summer to late autumn, which would seem to rule them out also.

I'm still of the opinion that these do look like Tubaria - which does have species that might be found fruiting early in the year.

Regards,
Mike.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:07 pm

I think Armillaria is more strict on its timing than the other 2. It appears suddenly everywhere, then its gone. Just my theory, but I put this down to the huge mycelium of Armillaria, while the other two are smaller. Also, the other two are pure saprobes, so their metabolism is more local, being tied to the environment of a smaller host (humidity, temperature) less linked to that of the trees' timescales which are more seasonal. I have no evidence for this, so I expect to be corrected !
Adam Pollard
Site admin

eltio
Regular user

Post by eltio » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:14 pm

I'm sort of sorry I ever mentioned Armillaria now, but the scaled surface of the lower fb and the general appearance of the stipe and ring still have a familiar look to me. I'd agree on size and timing of course. However, where is your evidence for this being brown spored? Do these photos really say Galerina or Tubaria to you? I still think it's a puzzle.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:16 pm

eltio wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:14 pm
. . . . Do these photos really say Galerina or Tubaria to you? I still think it's a puzzle.
I agree that it's a puzzle - but I remain 100% confident that these aren't Armillaria. ;)
You can see from their general appearance that the fruitbodies in Mossman's photos are pretty much fully mature, You can also see from the top photo that they aren't much bigger than his thumbnail.

At that sort of size any of the UK's Armillaria species would look very different. - In all probability the universal veil would not yet have broken away to form the stem ring, and the heads of the fruitbodies would still be much more spherical in shape, probably well festooned with scaly surface "warts" such as in this photo, (where the fruitbodies, not long emerged, were still considerably larger than Mossman's): -
Armillaria mellea
Armillaria mellea
Regards,
Mike.