Found under a bush, growing in soil.

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Crosbie
New user

Found under a bush, growing in soil.

Post by Crosbie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Hi folks

I’m an extremely novice member of the world of fungi identification so apologies if this is a slam dunk for ease of identification! I couldn’t find anything which seemed to match the description which grows this early in the year, so was keen to see what people think. Any ideas appreciated!
Attachments
B11D8998-21B5-458A-A06A-E543FA7A80F7.jpeg
1DB7F4AF-0915-431B-9C37-99E3E7E63B7B.jpeg
A1CA89C7-3838-43C8-9BBF-97FC897C4260.jpeg
A7107F55-C382-4BFC-99FA-1E94C416543E.jpeg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Found under a bush, growing in soil.

Post by adampembs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Hi "Crosbie"

Welcome to UK Fungi.

Please take a look at the "help us help you identify your finds" topic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=49

Note that your have taken 4 photos, basically only showing the same part of the fungus (the top) - its important to see the gills and stem also. It does no harm to turn one over.

I'd be reluctant to guess without seeing gill colour.

regards,
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:59 pm

This could well be Agrocybe dura, but as Adam says we would need to see the underside to go any further. You can always then turn the fungus back to spread more spores (or pop it gills down in a bush to spread even more), but by this time hundreds of thousands of spores have already been liberated.

best wishes
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Crosbie
New user

Post by Crosbie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:05 am

Thanks, folks. Here are some additional snacks, as requested. Hope they help :)
Attachments
46CBFD03-5076-48E8-809C-34DAEED64613.jpeg
D49403D5-A8D6-4544-88B8-BD7942224A4A.jpeg
47668AC2-E099-4429-87D3-6BA78F933F21.jpeg

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:03 pm

That's great. We can now see the dark gills, indicating brown spores. On young specimens, the unripe spores are colourless, so the gills are pale, and they become brown with age, so their gills typically go from white, to pink, to brown. There are some white spored species that look quite similar, some of the "parasols" - and also some Amanitas. With these, the gills never go brown like this, always being white or beige/cream. This one also has a ring on the stem. Chris' ID looks good.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Hello,

no, this is an Agaricus.
Agrocybe would be a brown-spored agaric, but this one has chokolate-brown spores. Also the ring doesn't fit for Agrocybe.
This is with certainty an Agaricus species, surely one of the reddening group.

best regards,
Andreas

Crosbie
New user

Post by Crosbie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:34 pm

Thanks everybody. Perhaps Agaricus Augustus AKA The Prince? I will keep my eye on them as they develop and keep posting updates here so we can see them as they mature.

They’re in a very secluded spot which I don’t think anybody else will happen upon, so they should stay in tact.

I have no interest in attempting to eat them, to put people’s minds at ease. I don’t actually enjoy eating mushrooms of any variety, just a recent fascination with identifying them :)

mollisia
Frequent user

Post by mollisia » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:15 am

Hello,

surely not augustus, because this is one with dark scales on the cap whereas your Agaricus is white and not scaly - the cap cracked by incident (sun, rain, ...) Also augustus is yellowing strongly when bruised and smells like almond - your fungus I bet will reddend somewhat when cut and the smell is not remarkable.

Could be may be A. bisporus or even weathered subperonatus. Don't think that it is A. pratensis, because the gills are not pink enough, but even that species is not excluded. or another one of the more rare which I don't know enough to judge anything.

best regards,
Andreas