Fungi on lichens

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Fungi on lichens

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Yes, we know that lichens all have a fungus as part of their structure, but there are lichenicolous fungi which exist as parasites, commensals or saprobes on dead lichen tissue. Known as "LFs" to the lichenologists apparently.
I suspect this species is not uncommon but few people are looking. This is the first time I have seen it on Xanthoria, my previous records are of it parasitising Physcia tenella (it was on that as well in this area). It's not easy to miss if you look carefully with a handlens but there is the possible confusion with the similarly pink http://www.lichens.lastdragon.org/liche ... linus.html - very different microscopically as it's a basidiomycete, Illosporiopsis is an anamorphic ascomycete, in the Hypocreales.
Illosporiopsis christiansenii 0b.jpg
Illosporiopsis christiansenii
Last edited by Chris Yeates on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Fungi on lichens

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 pm

This post brings to mind Jenny Seawright's idea of a separate page for lichenicolous fungi, which I thought was good.
Most lichenologists tend to post their LFs on the Lichen page and I'm sure there will be others on various fungi pages.
This posting of Chris's will be difficult to find in future as the full fungus's name doesn't appear anywhere except on his montage, whereas, with a dedicated page, it could have been headed with the correct title.

Regards, Chris

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:35 pm

Chris Johnson wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:21 pm This post brings to mind Jenny Seawright's idea of a separate page for lichenicolous fungi, which I thought was good.
Most lichenologists tend to post their LFs on the Lichen page and I'm sure there will be others on various fungi pages.
This posting of Chris's will be difficult to find in future as the full fungus's name doesn't appear anywhere except on his montage, whereas, with a dedicated page, it could have been headed with the correct title.

Regards, Chris
Slapped legs! - as they say in these parts. I have now added the name to the post.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Fay Newbery
Regular user

Post by Fay Newbery » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 am

There is an increasing amount of interest in lichenicolous fungi. Heather Paul and I are setting up a small exhibition today at the BLS AGM. I think a separate page would be great.
Illosporiopdis christensenii is quite common and more specific to that nitrogen-rich lichen community dominated by Xanthoria parietina and Physcia than to a particular lichen species.
For a by one who remembers 'shocking pink lipstick from the 60s, that's the exact colour but sometimes slightly more red-pink if the clumps of conidia have started to wash away in the rain.

diggleken
Frequent user

Post by diggleken » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:39 am

I've never seen it on Xanthoria either Chris.......(err, Yeates that is.....) Hi Chris!