Two species of Peziza on compost?

JennyS
Regular user

Two species of Peziza on compost?

Post by JennyS » Tue May 28, 2019 8:51 pm

These seem to be two different Peziza's found on woody compost - tentatively are they P. varia and P. vesiculosa?

The first (?varia) had spores 20-22 x 12 µm, the second smaller ones (?vesiculosa) spores 16-17 x 11 µm.
It was difficult to see whether or not the asci tips of the first were KI +blue, those of the smaller (second) one did show a blue reaction

Thoughts and comments appreciated!
z Q1,2 Peziza 190527 009 compost.jpg
z Q1 Peziza 190523.jpg
z Q2 Peziza 190523.jpg
Jenny Seawright

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Two species of Peziza on compost?

Post by Chris Yeates » Fri May 31, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi Jenny
you need at least mature spores, i.e. naturally ejected. Laying a cover slip over the hymenium works slightly better in my experience than using a microscope slide.
Also needed is a section through the whole fruitbody. Peziza is not as straightforward as was once thought (where have we heard that before?). This is very useful: http://www.ascofrance.com/uploads/forum ... s-0001.pdf . One also has to think of other lignicolous species if as you say it's woody compost; for example Peziza megalochondra, with its yellow globules in the paraphyses:
Peziza megalochondra 0a.jpg
best wishes
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

JennyS
Regular user

Re: Two species of Peziza on compost?

Post by JennyS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:30 pm

Thanks Chris - my notifications must have gone awol as I hadn't realised you'd replied. It was compost from municipal green so heaven only knows what was in the mix!
Jenny Seawright