Roseodiscus ?

NigelC
User

Roseodiscus ?

Post by NigelC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Hello

I am hoping for some advice about a discomycete I found on a moorland hill in Lancashire at c. 450m, on peat amongst bryophytes - mainly Ceratodon purpureus. I am out of my depth here because I almost always stick to lichens but this thing stopped me in my tracks and I decided to collect a bit. I have considered Bryoscyphus, Discinella, Octospora and Ombrophila before finding myself at Roseodiscus formosus.

A rough description:
Apothecia pale pink, 2-5mm diameter with ± flat disc, tapering to a whitish stipe (overall height 3-4mm). Paraphyses c. 2µm wide, septate, not expanded toward their apices, sparsely branched. Asci c. 8µm wide (in KOH), 8-spored, with hemiamyloid apical ring (orange in IKI before treatment with KOH, blue after KOH), with croziers. Ascospores 0-1 septate, 11-18 x 3-4µm (in water), with lipid droplets.

I think my only reservation is that the paraphyses in water appear minutely granular, at least in the living state, but the contents more or less clear in KOH, apart from what looks like an occasional lipid droplet. Any words of wisdom will be gratefully received.

Best wishes
Nigel
Attachments
P2180019.JPG
P2180030.JPG
Roseodiscus formosus [micro].png

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Roseodiscus ?

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:22 pm

Hello Nigel
I would suggest that your best bet would be to post this on http://www.ascofrance.com/ . It's easy (and free) to join and has participants from across the globe. Your good quality images would certainly not look out of place there, and people like Hans-Otto "Zotto" Baral would soon solve this for you (he loves hemiamyloid ascus apices ;) ).
Also, if you primarily look at lichens, Alain Gardiennet has an excellent knowledge of what I believe are known as "LFs" with numerous images on the ASCOfrance database.
HTH
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

NigelC
User

Re: Roseodiscus ?

Post by NigelC » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:06 pm

Excellent, thank you very much Chris. I'll sign up and see where this jaunt takes me. I must avoid looking for more stuff like this or I might find myself on a slippery slope to the 'other side' :)

Thanks again
Nigel