Guernsey lily (Nerine) fungus

Plant diseases
markwilson
Regular user

Guernsey lily (Nerine) fungus

Post by markwilson » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:53 pm

I have recently found this on a Nerine in my garden in Somerset - I cannot find anything in the web literature that might be possible - anyone any ideas? Thanks

Mark
Attachments
P1020519.JPG
P1020520.JPG
P1020521.JPG
P1020522.JPG

Fay Newbery
User

Re: Guernsey lily (Nerine) fungus

Post by Fay Newbery » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:50 pm

Didymella curtisii is one possibility. Causes leaf scorch on several genera of bulbs including Nerine. Place some leaf material in a poly bag with some wet tissue in a corner. See if pycnidia develop with rod-shaped spores. Spores colourless, 0 to 5-septate, smooth walled with several oil bodies in each cell.

markwilson
Regular user

Post by markwilson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks Fay

But regret cannot do microscopy

Mark

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:15 am

Fay's suggestion is a good one, but I suspect these are just random spots on leaves such as you can find on plants in most gardens.
I appreciate you don't do microscopy but if you don't already have one then please get a basic x10 lens: eg: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellers-Magn ... 353&sr=8-9
Numerous others are available -higher spec and higher price, but anyone interested in the least in the natural world should get one. If you then spot discrete black dots on these chlorotic areas we may be in with a (fungal) chance.
Best wishes
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Fay Newbery
User

Post by Fay Newbery » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:15 pm

With a x10 lens you should be able to see tiny black dotswithin the leaf spots if pycnidia develop. The fungus I've mentioned releases it's spores in tendrils like fine trails of cloudless toothpaste from the room of it's pycnidia. These tendrils should also be visible with a x10 lens. Such observations wouldn't confirm an ID but may be interesting for you to see.

markwilson
Regular user

Post by markwilson » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks - will try - I am getting used to hand lenses - Before I had a cataract operation I was very short-sighted and could see very well close to without a lens now I have to remember to take one with me

Mark