Possible Flammulina velutipes

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Possible Flammulina velutipes

Post by Bob Hazell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:05 pm

The attached photographs were taken at Draycote Water near Rugby, Warwickshire on Friday. The fungus was growing on a dead tree in a small deciduous copse in a damp area of the reservoir. I assume the fungus is Flammulina velutipes. The cap is smooth, orange-brown and marginally darker towards the centre. The cap margin is faintly striate. The stipe is cylindrical velvety and dark brown and slightly yellower at the top. It appeared to be causing white rot of the sapwood. However, under the bark on the sapwood around the fungus was also what appeared to be a very clustered "spot" fungus significantly smaller in size than Dacrymyces stillatus. Confirmation of Flammulina velutipes and any thoughts on the "spot" fungus would be much appreciated.
Flammulina-velutipes.jpg
P1330995.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Possible Flammulina velutipes

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Hello Bob,

Yes Flammulina velutipes for your first.
(Unless the powers that be have changed the name or decided to split things up because of genome sequencing etc. :roll: :D )

As for your second, I'd be looking at something like Nectria or Neonectria, but wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to particular species.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:57 pm

There are several Flammulina only separable by microscopy. See Funga Nordica 2012. Or Field Mycology Vol 12 (3) Fungal Portraits.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 pm

The most likely confusion is with Flammulina elastica which grows on willows (Salix) and has larger spores.

Chris

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 pm
The most likely confusion is with Flammulina elastica which grows on willows (Salix) and has larger spores.

Chris
But not exclusively. From the article "It appears to have a particular preference for willow (Salix spp) although other hosts are known as in the collection below."
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:44 pm

Thank you everyone for your comments. As always I am very grateful for your expert contributions and guidance. I appreciate microscopy is often required to provide definitive identification although I am loathe to spoil specimens for this purpose - rather with my limited knowledge leaving specimens pristine for others to enjoy. Thanks again.

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Post by Chris Johnson » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:54 pm

adampembs wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:09 pm
Chris Johnson wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Chris
But not exclusively. From the article "It appears to have a particular preference for willow (Salix spp) although other hosts are known as in the collection below."
Agreed, which is why I said 'most likely'. ;)