What is the current name for Daisy Rust

Plant diseases
poschiavanus
User

What is the current name for Daisy Rust

Post by poschiavanus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:25 pm

I just tried to record Puccinia distincta on Bellis perennis using the iRecord android app and to my dismay if you ask for Daisy Rust it enters Puccinia lagenophorae. AFAIK the two species were separated around 20 years ago (see this paper), but UKSI & NBN Atlas treat them as synonyms: https://species.nbnatlas.org/species/NB ... 1917#names. Index Fungorum does not, and the UK Basidiomycetes checklist seems to be offline. Willem Ellis keeps the two separate on Bladmineerders..

Can anyone illuminate this situation for me?

Posch

PS. I think it's not good form for recording apps to alter the taxonomic concept being recorded without some kind of warning. I suspect I now have a few Puccinia lagenophorae records where the host is Bellis not Senecio.

poschiavanus
User

Re: What is the current name for Daisy Rust

Post by poschiavanus » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm

To answer my own question, it would appear that this paper at least synonymises the 2 spp: https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 010-0687-0. Published whilst the current FSC Plant Gall book was in press I'd think.
Checking the Rust Red List for Wales shows that they are synonymised there.

JennyS
Regular user

Post by JennyS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Posch - it looks like the answer might depend on the source you use.
Here's a link to Bladmineerders where the jury still seems to be out as regards the occurrence of Puccinia lagenophorae on Bellis perennis: https://bladmineerders.nl/parasites/fun ... enophorae/

From the P. distincta page
"The species is closely related with P. lagenophorae and P. obscura, but considered by most authors an autonomous species (Termorshuizen & Swertz, 2011a; Weber, Webster & Engel, 2003a); not, however, by Mułenko ao and Klenke & Scholler."
Jenny Seawright

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:16 pm

poschiavanus wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:25 pm
. . .
PS. I think it's not good form for recording apps to alter the taxonomic concept being recorded without some kind of warning. I suspect I now have a few Puccinia lagenophorae records where the host is Bellis not Senecio.
Any recording system worth its salt should have a field recording the original name used by a recorder - you always need a paper trail; and of course accurate recording of the host species is vital. Some systems seem to want to "clean up" data which can be a dangerous procedure. I think that the evidence is now clear that P. distincta is a later synonym of P. lagenophorae (as are some other non-British species).

What sort of "warning" would you envisage? As a recorder trying to compile a new county mycota at the minute I am endlessly cross-checking and updating names as new information comes in - I'm fortunate to have people who can keep me abreast of the latest developments through supply of papers - though a welcome growing trend is authors insisting on papers being open-access - you then need to know where to look!

PS the Basidio Checklist will be down until some other way of hosting it is found. Also Index Fungorum is a nomenclatural not a taxonomic database, Species Fungorum is that (note the change in colour). But both are effectively run by a very busy Paul Kirk and there are lots of anomalies - I could keep him busy for weeks if I wanted to; I just tend to mention the most glaring ones.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"