Brain-like fungi found in vegetable garden

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Morchella13
New user

Brain-like fungi found in vegetable garden

Post by Morchella13 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:40 am

After using some compost that was laced with mycelium, I noticed a weird brain-like fungi growing amongst the new transplants in the vegetable garden. Currently this fungus is growing in our bed of Asian greens and also as of this morning I noticed it growing in our bed of onions. I started seeing these about 1 to 2 weeks ago.

It has no gills that I can see, it's soft and jelly-like when cut open: white-ish on the inside and white-ish/yellow-ish on the outside. The potting soil/compost we used came from Germany.

I've been googling every version of "brain-like fungus" I can think of and I'm having the hardest time finding this.

Wondering if anyone on here has seen this or know what it is? As far as we can tell it doesn't seem to be hurting the plants...
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-02 at 08.25.22.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-02 at 08.25.24 copy 2.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-02 at 08.25.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-02 at 08.25.25.jpeg

A J Sheppard
New user

Re: Brain-like fungi found in vegetable garden

Post by A J Sheppard » Mon May 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Having looked through my books. I can only see this would be Sparassis of some kind. But I am no expert. Though there does not seem to be anything else that looks any closer than that.

Though if it was on a host and at the right time of year, it could have been Chicken of the woods Sulphur Polypore Laetiporus. However you have probably already looked at these.

8-)