Converting a Kyowa microscope for fungi use

Discussion about cameras, microscopes, stains, and gadgets, along with useful tips for preparation of fungi samples
Fungijus
New user

Converting a Kyowa microscope for fungi use

Post by Fungijus » Sat May 11, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi All - Funigijus here, hope everyone is well!

Looking for a bit of advice with a microscopes in general, and specifically with a Kyowa model that I have, that originally came from a metallurgical laboratory.

I have been advised that a Leica DMLS would be an excellent machine to look out for, but these are few and far between - especially with a trinocular head, which I would want / need.

So, in the meantime, whilst I am waiting for one to come up, I am looking into converting my Kyowa machine to add understage lighting and appropriate condenser. The Kyowa scope itself seems to be very well built, and I understand that the optics are said to be good quality - reference a similar model available at Brunel http://www.brunelmicroscopessecure.co.u ... atory.html

So, the question is, is this kind of conversion a possibility, and if so, I would need to get some idea of the time / complexity of doing this, and of course the cost. Or, am I wasting my time trying to convert this machine, and I should spend my time instead looking for the Leica?

Many thanks in advance!
Justin (AKA, Fungijus).
Attachments
02B20EB2-8567-4857-B5BC-AA95D9EEB34E.jpeg
FE8D17F0-2FCE-41BF-A0D0-9E9930EA9881.jpeg
4DC7A900-626B-4273-BBB9-F000D9BFDCF2.jpeg

Pitufo
Frequent user

Re: Converting a Kyowa microscope for fungi use

Post by Pitufo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:43 pm

I don't know how far you got with this project as it's been a while since you posted it.

It does seem a shame not to make use of a good scope - they were well made and the head and focus system should still be sound.

I think you would need to solve three problems

1) Light source - not too difficult but you could do with a field lens to focus the light upwards.

2) Condenser (to focus light on the specimen) - best if it were matched to the microscope/model/objectives but you may be able to get away with one from another model or brand.

3) Objectives - I think you will probably have metallurgical which are designed to work without cover slips. You will probably be able to get an image with the lower power objectives but it won't be ideal and you will proabably struggle at higher power (I think this will mainly be chromatic and spherical aberration issues). Also, you won't have an oil-immersion objective for obvious reasons.

Objectives might be your greatest cost. Touch and go whether it's worth it or not. You might be able to make use of your trino head if you can find a headless (microscope) body elsewhere.

John