Lecanora saligna Group Species?

Neil Sanderson
Regular user

Lecanora saligna Group Species?

Post by Neil Sanderson » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:35 am

In March I collected a Lecanora species from lignum on a fallen Sweet Chestnut trunk in Studley Park, Fountains Abbey, Yorkshire. This appears to be a Lecanora saligna group species but I can not fully match it to any species description, however, it does appear similar to poorly developed material I have collected from Pine bark in the New Forest.

The thallus was brown warted and rough, the apothecia had pale margins, which were raised in young apothecia but which were partly excluded in the most mature apothecia. The disks are brown but are strongly pruinose with a thick covering of pale white-grey pruina.

2019-03-05-11.jpg
Lecanora sp on Sweet Chestnut lignum

The crystals in epithecium and margin fine, yellow in polarised light and soluble in K

2019-03-05-12.jpg
Lecanora sp, apothecia cross-section in normal light

2019-03-05-13.jpg
Lecanora sp, apothecia cross-section in polarised light

The paraphyses branched with swollen cap to 2.5 – 3µm with, and dark pigmented at the tip. The asci were 25 – 28 x 10µm and the spores simple 7 – 10 x 3µm. The spores are rather narrow for their length compared to any any other Lecanora saligna group species that I can find descriptions of.

2019-03-05-14.jpg
2019-03-05-15.jpg
Lecanora sp, apothecia squash, with paraphyses, asci and spores.

Pycnidia frequent and about 160µm across, but unhelpfully these only contain miroconidia, which are simple and 2 x 1µm. I could not find any maroconidia, which are much more diagnostic in this group.

Any one with any ideals?

(PS I will put the taxa up on the https://lecanomics.org/data/ site, if I ever manage to log in, but the site seems to have an issue at the moment, either with with Macs and iPhones or possibly just everyone)

Neil
Neil Sanderson

Neil Sanderson
Regular user

Re: Lecanora saligna Group Species?

Post by Neil Sanderson » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:15 am

Rereading Boom & Brand (2008) The Lichenologist 40(6): 465–497 as holiday reading (!), I think this may actually be Lecanora sarcopidoides; this has similar spores and micropycnidia and does look similar in macro characters https://www.verspreidingsatlas.nl/7362. If so, a very rarely recorded species in Britain. The key in Boom & Brand (2008) is a bit misleading as the thallus reactions in the key contradict the reactions given in the text for Lecanora sarcopidoides. I will explore further when I get back.

All the best

Neil
Neil Sanderson