Need urgent ID

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Joysaphine

Need urgent ID

Post by Joysaphine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:30 pm

I have this popping up all over my garden. I have 2 young grandchildren who come to play regularly. I neednto know if this is harmful. Whay it is. If harmful... how do i deal with it? So far i have been out every day for the last 4 days and picked between 50 and 100 each day. I am putting them in my dustbin as the moment.
20190609_125519.jpg
20190609_125436.jpg
20190609_125528.jpg
20190609_125532.jpg
20190609_125532.jpg
20190609_125445.jpg
20190609_125534.jpg
20190609_125448.jpg
20190609_125512.jpg
20190609_125506.jpg

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Need urgent ID

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Sorry to see you taking such a negative view of fungi, rather than teaching your grand-children about the wonders of nature. Do you also dig up daffodils, foxgloves, hydrangeas and rhododendron? There are many poisonous plants too. While caution is wise, there is no need to panic here. Just teach them not to eat fungi OR plants from the garden.

These look like a Mottlegill. One of the Panaeolus species. Not edible, but like the vast majority of fungi, not particularly dangerous either.
Maybe this one https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/pana ... isecii.php

regards
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:12 pm

In terms of dealing with it, you can renove and compost them or chuck - if you REALLY HAVE TO. They will come back, because soil is a complex ecosystem that contains plants, backeria, fungi, protazoans, and invertebrates. Each play their role in a healthy soil.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Joysaphine

Post by Joysaphine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 pm

I am a huge nature lover and teach my grandchildren foraging and all about wildflowers, wildlife etc. The reason i pulled these out of my lawn is that the grandchildren age 4 and 5 play on it and if it was dangerous, then i would not.like them touching it. I love looking at fungi and take a great many photos of it but am not up on identification. I was a wee bit.upset.by your obviously negative attitude to my question. You have no idea whether i was a nature.lover or not but instantly seemed to assume that i am not because i removed these until i knew whether safe around YOUNG children. I live in pembrokeshire. On the coast path and have a wealth of nature around me and feel offended.by your reply. I teach my grandchildren all about poisonous and edible plants and plants just for looking at. They have grown and already have a wealth of knowledge... thanks to me...fungi are the only thing i am not fully up on and something I dont know enough about to teach my grandchildren. Hence why I came on here for advice and understanding. I posted on here with these in varying stages, for help and to learn. Not to be knocked for removing them until sure of safety.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Maybe if you had not ripped up 100s of fungi from your lawn and thrown them away, and instead posted a photo in situ, I would have been more sympathetic. If this was a photo showing 100s of uprooted orchids or dead birds, perhaps you could understand the reaction. I gave you my advice. Leave the fungi alone and tell the kids not to eat them. This is a conservation type forum. We are happy to provide advice, but we get upset when people want to kill everything. I hope you can understand my point of view.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:24 pm

Oh, and you're welcome for providing you a (probable) ID.
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:16 pm

I do hope that you will take away some positives rather than just negatives from this, and that you might gain some understanding of why those with some knowledge of the subject tend to get upset when fungi are needlessly destroyed.
A manifestly obvious example I know, but imagine, for example, how a botanist might react if you posted that you’d destroyed hundreds of daffodils because you didn’t know what they were, and whether they might be dangerous to your grandchildren. – (And yes, daffodils are poisonous!).

Your first post stated that you had removed 50 to 100 mushrooms for four consecutive days, and had thrown them in the dustbin.
So that’s between 200 & 400 mushrooms destroyed – before you requested help in finding out what they were, and whether they might be dangerous.

In a later post you respond with “You have no idea whether I was a nature lover or not but instantly seemed to assume that I am not because I removed these until I knew whether safe around YOUNG children”.
Perhaps then, (as a nature lover?) the better route would have been to try to find out what they were – before destroying them? ;)

You also say “I teach my grandchildren all about poisonous and edible plants and plants just for looking at“.
Obviously then, you trust the fact that your grandchildren are old enough to understand the implications, when you tell them that “such a plant” is poisonous?

Why then, should there be any problem in telling your grandchildren that some mushrooms might be poisonous, and then trusting the children to treat the mushrooms in just the same manner as they would when told about a poisonous plant?

I would tend to agree with Adam’s ID suggestion of Panaeolina foenisecii. And yes, as it happens, that species is known to have caused sickness if eaten – particularly in children.

However, that said, were we all to go about destroying everything that could be dangerous to children – just on the off chance, – then there would be little of our natural world left for them to enjoy!

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 pm

When I worked in museums one day someone arrived at the front desk - with a small box full of fungi. The fungi had come from a local garden, there was a chance that a small child had eaten some. The child was currently in A&E and I was asked whether they should apply gastric lavage (ie pump his/her) stomach. There were several species (we later entered the records in the local biological records centre we ran!). All were perfectly harmless with the exception of one - I'm trying to remember which; but my response was "if they have eaten that they won't need their stomach pumped - nature will do it for you". Everything worked out fine - I suspect the child had had more sense than to eat something unfamiliar and not attractive - unlike Laburnum "peas" or Yew berries.
I worry more for the children I see doing handstands and cartwheels in parks where dogs have regularly done their business and then having an ice cream or whatever. Poop-scooping won't remove all the potential dangers from the grass.
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Id also add that cod liver oil "has been known to causes sickness" - yet we would probably urge children to drink it, especially if they spend too much time indoors. Fairy liquid will also make you sick, and eating too much chocolate. :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

Joysaphine

Post by Joysaphine » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 pm

I only came on here for some FRIENDLY advice as fungi is not my speciality. It is a very complex subject that I freely admit i know very little about. To the person who says just tell the children not to eat them...it wasnt the eating of as such.. rather than the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds on my lawn and if my grandkids were to put their hands down..there is nowhere where they wouldnt be putting their hands on these.little fungi. As I said in another of my replies that has not been posted, we are not the super worried people who wash their hands at every touch, etc. We allow them to know nature. To play and to get the odd 'germ'. But in that reply that wasnt posted...i was worried that hands on the ground. Crushed fungi on their hands. Hands in mouths. Was i right to worry? .
I wanted advice. In most cases i would leave nature very much alone. I took these up for 4 days trying to just clear one little area that could be safe for my grandsons (age 4 and 5). The rest of the garden still has these all over. I am not diminishing these. Not in the numbers that are here. I can tell the boys not to pick them. Not to eat them
But i cant stop them playing and getting their hands on them. And I still need part of thegarden for the boys to play in as they dont have a garden at their own.house.
To the person who pointed out that daffodils are poisonous too... DOH....i came on here.for advice. Instead i felt.insulted and patronised by the way these.replies to me have been worded. I fully understand conservation. I also fully understand that there must be well over a thousand or.more of these in my garden.
I dont know your subject. Thats why i came on here. I tried a few other sites over the last few days but got no help. So after going thru the google list.. i got to this site. Ok it took me 4 days because i dont have so much time to look into it. Because I am disabled, live in agony, fighting.against doctors to stay on crutches instead.of the wheelchair they want me in. Becàuse i tried to look it up in my own books first before bothering other.people.and quite honestly, after the less than understanding replies i have had on here, i almost wish i had stuck to just looking in the books.
My field is wildflowers, herbs (wild and cultivated, medicinal and edible) and on forums when I have been asked to help identify a plant or asked about its uses, i have shown nuch more understanding and.not.patronised the people who have asked. Believing that if they are asking for.information... then thats what they want...not me judging them before i know full facts.
You may think you are experts in your field or you may be the experts in your field.. as i am in mine. I would hope that if.you ever try to find the identification and uses of a wild helb and I end up being the one who has to reply to you- that i would do it with much more.tact and uñderstànding than i have had on here.
I apologise for taking up your time. I very much dount i will ever ask again on here for identification. But if you ever need information on a plant (poisonous or not) then.you can ask me in the sure knowledge that I will not belittle you or reply to you in any judgemental way.

Oh and by the way, cod liver oil (never given to a child - ever), washing up liquid? And chocolate? These had nothing to do with my question and come across as another obvious comment designed to try and belittle. I am not a stupid person. For years until severe spinal damage, my vocation was that of veterinary nurse. Not a job for a stupid person. Nor a jòb for a person who does not want to learn more. This was my other speciality..

I will try and find a different website for assistance in future. But if any of you have any concience at all you will look again at your replies and maybe think before you reply to someone else in such a way. You got yourbacks up instantly because I picked a few hundred, and without knowing full circumstances, you instantly judged me rather than asking if there were many more in the garden. You have totally decided to not look at my explanations or understand the situation.. because you had already judged and made up your mind about me as some ignoramus who just destroys nature and has no understanding of conservation. What a shame. You had a chance to help teach me one of the few nature subjects I know little of.
Last edited by Joysaphine on Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Oversensitive a bit perhaps?
"Thou protesteth too much" - my reply wasn't that harsh, get a thicker skin! Think of a forum as having its own culture. When you first approach a new forum, understand the prevailing culture and you won't get your fingers burnt. Its like walking into a stranger's living room and demanding an immediate audience to answer your questions on YOUR TERMS and then attacking everyone for asking you to sit down, shut up and listen to the rules. What you describe sounds like an true spectacle of nature. I've never seen fungi in such numbers that there is no grass left to play/sit on and we would be delighted to see a photo of your lawn with fungi on. If its as you describe, it sounds like one of those events like the millions of herring that gather or the turtles that make their way to the sea. ,. Shoot first and ask questions later? Touching fungi doesn't hurt, except maybe Athelete's Foot or candida. ,

We would be happy to identify further finds, but please read our FAQs especially Help Us to Help You Identify Your Finds before posting. Take this as it meant, respect fungi as an important part of the ecosystem. I hope you show more care in the future, rather than rush to exterminate. I hope you learn this lesson :)
Adam Pollard
Site admin

adampembs
Frequent user

Post by adampembs » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Joysaphine wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:28 pm
You had a chance to help teach me one of the few nature subjects I know little of.
btw I know a lot of naturalists and none I know would make such a claim. :?
Adam Pollard
Site admin