LF on Collema tenax

Dave Lamacraft
New user

LF on Collema tenax

Post by Dave Lamacraft » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any pointers with an LF on Collema crispum? Struggling to find/access anything online. Appears as small black perithecia on thallus surface but these seem to be largely just the ostiole of larger flask-like perithecia sunk in the thallus. Spores are around 17x5, 1 septate with one enlarged cell - a bit Arthonia or Arthopyrenia like. They also seem to be ornamented, unless they're just not clearing very well with KOH. It was collected from sand dunes at Morfa Harlech, Meirionnydd. Any pointers much appreciated!

Dave
Last edited by Dave Lamacraft on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Lamacraft
New user

Re: LF on Collema crispum

Post by Dave Lamacraft » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:42 pm

So, it turns out it helps a lot if you get your host ID right! Also turns out the Collemataceae on sand aren't that straightforward - to me at least. So, this was Collema (Enychlium) tenax, which instantly points one towards Didymellopsis pulposi as the obvious LF, which this seems to be. Looking at the NBN atlas, possibly new to Wales...? I'm seeing (or think I'm seeing) whitish rhizine-like tufts, or occasionally almost a very loose tomentum, on the underside of Enchylium tenax similar to those in Collema crispum (Blenothallia crispa), something I can't find reference to anywhere, unless this is something else going on and/or I've got the ID wrong again! Incidentally the draft Collemataceae accounts/keys - http http://www.britishlichensociety.org.uk/ ... %201.4.pdf - seem pretty good, especially when it comes to the new splits etc.

Nordic Flora refs 'bundles of white hapters' for Euchynium/Collema tenax, not mentioned in LGBI. These are frequent on specimens collected from N Wales dunes over the past week or so, but only really obvious once all the sand has been removed.

Admin edit note 26/06/19: Dave, I had to combine your previous two posts into this one post. - For some unknown reason your previous post, (the text of which has been copied across and is now the first paragraph of this post), was creating a problem with the site's "post approval notifications". - The only way I could get rid of that problem was by copying the body text of your post to here, (so that none of your actual posted content was removed), and then deleting the original post.
Regards, Mike.