Another unidentified fungus from Draycote Water

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Another unidentified fungus from Draycote Water

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm

This fungus is growing besides the entrance road into Draycote Water, Rugby. It is in an area of grass which is regularly mown and beneath a Red Oak. The cap is beige and about 4cms across. It is heavily and irregularly grooved, slightly umbonate but smooth in the centre. The gills are white. The stipe is about 10cms and white but more beige towards the bottom. Any identification suggestions would be very welcome.
1 P1480497rev.jpg
1 P1480499rev.jpg
1 P1480505rev.jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Another unidentified fungus from Draycote Water

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi Bob,

It has the general looks of Entoloma conferendum - (Star Pinkgill), other than the stipe doesn't appear to be obviously (longitudinally) striate?

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Thanks Mike. In the attached photo I have applied highlights particularly to the stipe. The photo was taken in sunlight which can have a tendency to burn out detail. I think the "revised" image gives a hint of longitudinal striate but I may be kidding myself.
1 P1480499rev1.jpg

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Xerula radicata
cheers
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks Chris. Am totally out my depth but reassured to know that the experts can differ with their opinions. As always many thanks to both you and Mike for your assistance.

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Post by Chris Yeates » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:01 pm

That shiny wrinkled cap is the giveaway - if you dug down you would have found the long "root" though that would have been rather destructive and unnecessary. Compare your find with https://www.first-nature.com/fungi/xerula-radicata.php.
Similar wrinkled caps occur with some Pluteus species, but they are always much more obviously growing on wood, have pink spores and free gills.
Chris

PS I don't consider myself an expert, I've only been studying fungi for 35 years . . .
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Thanks for the link Chris. Good to see almost identical images. Thanks also for the further hints and guidance.

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:27 pm

Chris Yeates wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 pm
Xerula radicata cheers Chris
Doh! - I knew there was something that didn't quite ring true, but it was only the lack of a striate stipe that was concerning me. :oops:

Xerula radicata is one that I've not yet found in my neck of the woods.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.