Xanthoria parietina without parietin

Glos lichens
User

Xanthoria parietina without parietin

Post by Glos lichens » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:27 pm

I don't recall seeing Xanthoria parietina totally devoid of yellow colouring before. It is often grey on shaded branches and trunks, but the disk and a fringe on the edge of the thallus lobes is usually yellow - a very pretty effect.
Today in my Gloucestershire garden on a poplar twig I came across some the colour of modeller's clay in among bright yellow material. So it can't have been a question of shade.
Albino Xp?
Attachments
small_albinoXp_20190801_112928_8010008.jpg
Poplar twig with mix of ordinary yellow and unusually colourless Xanthoria parietina.
small_albinoXp_20190801_150933_8010040.jpg
K dropped into two fruit. The upper has gone red, the one immediately south of it, similarly treated, is totally unchanged.
small_albinoXp_20190801_175226_1050037.jpg
Squash from one of the grey apothecia. Micron scale.

Chris Johnson
Frequent user

Re: Xanthoria parietina without parietin

Post by Chris Johnson » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Perhaps it's just old and in decline. The apothecia are larger in the colourless patch suggesting it might be older. It's also being overgrown by young thalli with more typical colouring. Here is one I took recently in considerable shade but still with the apothecia and thallus-margin showing primrose colouring.

Chris
Attachments
Xanthoria-parietina-16.jpg

Glos lichens
User

Post by Glos lichens » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Thanks for the comment, but it looks full of beans to me! Look at the firm little white aps developing on the right side of my second photo. I needed to check the contents to make sure that it wasn't just snailed-out, but no, the hymenial layer was all there with vigorous asci.
Here's a photo of a very common colour form round my garden, rather like your photo.

Juliet
Attachments
0_Xanthoriaparietina_shade.jpg
Shade form of Xanthoria parietina.

Neil Sanderson
Regular user

Post by Neil Sanderson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:30 pm

Juliet

I agree that looks very like a parietin free morph of Xanthoria parietina, not a shaded form of normal material. Not something I have not seen before.

Presumably it will be prone to sun burn!

Neil
Neil Sanderson