Fungi Identification perhaps

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
CDBSomerset
New user

Fungi Identification perhaps

Post by CDBSomerset » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:25 pm

What are these?
Not sure if they are fungi
Can't find them anywhere in my books
Probably barn door for an expert but not for me

Smell musty
In woody bit of my garden, on root of a beech tree half in mulch half pushing through surface
Spongy and cut surface firm as seen
Slice easily
No idea what they are and no plans to eat them just interested as never seen anything like this before
Thanks
Attachments
as above
as above
as above
as above

Chris Yeates
Frequent user

Re: Fungi Identification perhaps

Post by Chris Yeates » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:25 am

Hello and welcome to UK Fungi.
Yes these are indeed fungi. This is a species of earthball. I would say it is either the leopard-spotted earthball, Scleroderma areolatum, or the scaly earthball Scleroderma verrucosum. I always check the size and shape of the spores with these fungi as they can look rather similar macroscopically.
Please note a couple of things:
* We never discuss edibility on this site (and I understand that was not your intention).
* There is a separate thread for identifications viewforum.php?f=4 so your post may be moved there. Also as further posts are made ones own disappears off the screen, you just need to click on the relevant thread and you will see all the earlier posts queued up there.

Hope that helps
Chris
"You must know it's right, the spore is on the wind tonight"
Steely Dan - "Rose Darling"

adampembs
Frequent user

Re: Fungi Identification perhaps

Post by adampembs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:28 am

When asking for IDs, it would be courteous if the original poster would reply with some sort of thanks / acknowledgement for the responses our members made. :?
Adam Pollard
Site admin