Parmotrema crinitum apothecium

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Parmotrema crinitum apothecium

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Last week we visited an abandoned trial conifer plantation on North Uist, Outer Hebrides, on an exposed, very wet moorland hillside (alt 102 m). One corner of the plantation had been hit by a severe gale at some time and there were a number of fallen, dead Sitka spruce. In this part of the world conifer plantations are not great for lichens, so I was amazed by the luxuriant growth of foliose lichens and Cladonia species.
There was an abundance of Parmotrema crinitum on the fallen trunks and branches and I found a single apothecium. At the time I did not appreciate the rarity of finding apothecia on this species (novice lichenologist).
Unfortunately it was not mature and we were only able to find immature spores in the asci.
Attachments
Parmotrema crinitum 05.jpg.jpg
Microscopy Chris Johnson
Microscopy Chris Johnson
Microscopy Chris Johnson
Microscopy Chris Johnson

JennyS
Regular user

Re: Parmotrema crinitum apothecium

Post by JennyS » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi Chris, very interesting to read your post as I've seen fertile Parmotrema crinitum in SW Ireland.
During 5 years recording there I frequently found fertile specimens of foliose species on which, according to the literature, apothecia are very rare and it led me to wonder if the likelihood of fertility is increased by the warmer, damper conditions.
Parmotrema crinitum SW Ire.jpg
Jenny Seawright

CJohnsonOHBR
Regular user

Re: Parmotrema crinitum apothecium

Post by CJohnsonOHBR » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:58 am

Thank you Jenny, that is an interesting observation.
With our mild oceanic climate and limited range of habitats (not many trees) not only is the range of species restricted but they are often unusual in their "behaviour" and choice of substrate.
I often have to spend considerable time checking my identification with a range of literature sources - this is because I am inexperienced and also because of geographical variation. Clearly our lichens have not read the right books.
I have another example which I will post later this morning.