Fungus growing in peat free multi-purpose compost

Please try to include photos to show all parts of the fungus, eg top, stem, and gills.
Note any smells, and associated trees or plants (eg oak, birch). A spore print can be very useful.
Forum rules
Please do not ask for the identification of fungi for edibility or narcotic purposes. Any help provided by forum members is on the understanding that fungi are not to be consumed. Any deaths or serious poisonings are the responsibility of the person eating or preparing the fungus for others. If it is apparent from a post that the fungus is for eating or smoking etc, the post will be deleted and a warning given. Although many members do eat fungi, no-one would be willing to take someone else's life into their hands.
Bob Hazell
Regular user

Fungus growing in peat free multi-purpose compost

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat May 09, 2020 9:20 am

Back on 19th May 2019 I posted photographs of a fungus growing in peat free compost beneath a shrub in a pot in my garden in Rugby. Most of the specimens which I posted at the time were young. I have again found fungi in the same location and assume they are the same variety. However, they appear to include more mature specimens and the caps are cracking presumably due to the continued dry spell. The gills change from cream/white to dark brown with age. The cap in these specimens is approx. 4 cms diameter and the stipe about 7 cms long. They give off a strong traditional "mushroomy" smell. Responding to the previous post Mike (Lancashire Lad) suggested Agrocybe praecox. I attach below more recent images in the hope that these may be helpful in confirming the identity. I did wonder if Agrocybe molesta should also be considered?
Agrocybe(1).jpg
Agrocybe(2).jpg
Agrocybe(3).jpg

Lancashire Lad
Frequent user

Re: Fungus growing in peat free multi-purpose compost

Post by Lancashire Lad » Sat May 09, 2020 11:28 am

Hi Bob,

Looking at these pics, along with refreshing my memory by looking at your pics from May 2019: - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2421&sid=0971f03f49 ... 70a#p11326
I'm still thinking that these have the right looks for Agrocybe praecox.

I'm not particularly familiar with Agrocybe molesta (Syn. Agrocybe dura), although I have read that A.praecox and A.molesta/dura do appear in the same sort of habitat, and that they are difficult to differentiate "in the field" (by macro characteristics alone).
However, some books suggest that A.molesta has more of a creamy coloured cap - particularly when old/dry. - But as I say, I'm not familiar with the species.

Perhaps others may have a better opinion.

Regards,
Mike.
Common sense is not so common.

Bob Hazell
Regular user

Re: Fungus growing in peat free multi-purpose compost

Post by Bob Hazell » Sat May 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for reviewing the latest photos and for confirming the identity. I am sure your assumption based on field characteristics is correct - my wisdom on the matter could be written on a pinhead. Thanks again.
Regards,
Bob